If you are ever roaming the streets of Cape Town and happen to bump into the one, Kent Lingeveldt, just know that you are meeting one of the realest homies around. As cliched as it sounds, from humble beginnings to seeing the world to giving back to the community, this is the story of Kent. Growing up in Mitchells Plain, he chose to follow two passions, photography and longboarding, labelling it “Boardography”. Through perusing his passion, he has managed to inspire a whole host of youths along the way. The company he started, Alpha Longboards promotes an active lifestyle, each board made is custom shaped and finished with a custom graphic, showing the middle finger to mass production. His keen awareness of his surroundings, developed through longboarding, filters down into his photography where he manages to capture everyday moments which somehow always begins to tell a story. Kent has established himself as a major influential role player in Cape Town’s street culture. Here’s the man himself letting you in on a few things which you might not know.
10 THINGS BMK:
1. I stayed in a monastery in the south of France for 3 months in 2000
2. I was detained in a holding cell at Tel Aviv Airport, Israel for a weekend in January 2000 after being refused entry
3. I was first non-white African to compete on the international downhill skateboarding racing circuit in Europe. First time I went over was 2004
4. I used to make and sell beaded jewellery at school for extra cash
5. I play the djembe drum and used to be a busker in Grahamstown at the Arts Festival
6. I have flat feet so have to add extra innersoles to all my skating sneaks
7. Broke my left femur in 2009 skating down the back of Franschoek Pass and had to rush a healing coz 4 months later I was skating in the World Champs in Australia. Still a 35cm long pin in my pushing leg.
8. Love Italian food and cooking is my stress reliever
9. Love watching rugby!
10. Ran cross-country at school
PHOTOGRAPHY WEBSITE: www.kentlingeveldtphotography.
Previous feature on BMK: CNN X KENT LINGEVELDT ON LONGBOARDING
Images by Max Mogale & Jakub Fulin